- Complete #11-22 vocabulary words of Part 2 and chose six of them and write a short story using those words.
- Make sure that you have completed all of the work that assigned while I was out, it must be turned in on Google Classroom if the assignment was on there. We will go over everything tomorrow in class when I return.
- Also tomorrow you will have a quick three question quiz to make sure that you have been up keeping with the reading that was assigned to you.
- Read Chapter 3 of Part 2 in The Book Thief and answer the following questions on looseleaf. “The Town Walker”
- Why does Mama put Liesel in charge of collecting & delivering the laundry? How does Liesel feel about her new job?
- Briefly identify each of the following characters: Pfallelhurvers, Helena Schmidt, the Weingartners, and Mayor & Frau Hermann.
- To whom does Liesel write her letters? Why does she have a foreboding sense with regard to 1 of the letters?
- What questions/concerns does Liesel now have regarding her mother?
- Complete #’s 1-10 of The Book Thief Part 2 Vocabulary in your ELA notebooks.
- Study for Vocabulary Quiz on 11/5 Unit 1&2. Study only the words that I had given you in class.
- Study for your Novel Test on 11/7
- Complete the comprehension questions located in Google Classroom, we will go over those on Thursday
- Review the test review worksheet on Google Classroom we will begin reviewing on Thursday.
- Finish Unit 3 of Vocabulary Workbook by Thursday 10/31
- Personal Narratives are due tomorrow, I will not accept any late narratives for every day it is late five points will be deducted.
- Read pg.87-107 by Thursday
- Finish any of the work you did not complete on Google Classroom by Thursday 10/24
- Figurative Language Quote description due tomorrow
- Personal Narratives due on Wed 10/23
- Read pg.87-107 by Thursday
- Finish any of the station work you did not complete on Google Classroom by Thursday 10/24
- Complete the assignment Figurative Language : Description on Google Classroom , turn it in by Tuesday 10/22. Remember that your describing the quote your group had chose for their poster in class.
- Vocabulary Quiz on Units 1&2 : November 5,2019
- The Book Thief Test #2: November 7, 2019
- Everyone should have completed reading Part 1 of The Book Thief , if you did not finish reading Part 1 have it completed by Monday
- Complete Making Inferences Worksheet
- Have the novel “The Book Thief” by September 23,2019
- Have ” The Book Thief” by Monday
September 24, 2019
- Make sure you have read “ Death and Chocolate” & “ Beside The Railway Line”
- Answer reader response questions
“ Death and Chocolate”
- From what point of view is the novel told? Who is the narrator of the story? How do you know?
- What theory does the narrator suggest about colors? Purpose? Why does the narrator need distractions?
- List the specific critical components of the story according to the narrator?
- Who might you infer is the book thief? Has he or she already been named? Explain your answer.
“Besides the Railway Line”
- What purpose does this section of the novel serve?
- What impression does Death give himself? Do you feel you can trust Death as the narrator? Why or why not?
September 26, 2019
- Read “Arrival on Himmel Street & Growing Up a Saumensch”
- Readers Response Questions in journal ( WRITE THE QUESTIONS & ANSWERS)
- Death opens Part 1 with a flashback, what is it?
- Who is Liesel & Werner Meminger? Describe the setting. How old is Liesel?
- What observation does Death make for the reader?
- What falls from the grave digger apprentice’s pocket without his knowledge? What does Liesel do with the object?
- Why are the Memingers on the train? Liesel’s ultimate destination is ______________________ .
- Identify & describe Liesel’s foster parents.
- How many books made up the story of Liesel’s life? What similarity do you notice between Death’s explanation of Liesel’s book collection and the organization of the novel?
- What single fact does Liesel know about her father?
September 30, 2019
- Work on your first drafts of your personal narrative DUE DATE: OCTOBER 7, 2019
October 1, 2019
- Vocabulary Workbook p.20 ” Words in Action” #2 on your chromebook or on looseleaf , if you write it on the chromebook then share the document with me
- Start studying the vocabulary words from The Book Thief
- Words In Action # 2: Google Classroom
October 10, 2019
- Finish reading Part 1 of The Book Thief
- Answer the following questions in your journal : Due 10/16
“The Kiss (A Childhood Maker)”
- Briefly identify each of the following characters: Rudy Steiner, Frau Diller, Tommy Mueller, & “Pfiffikus.” Make sure to note their connection to Liesel, if any.
- How are the friendships between children made on Himmel Street?
- Briefly describe the “Jesse Owens” incident?
- Who introduces Liesel to the “secrets” of the neighbors? Explain.
- Schiller Strasse is ________________________.
- What challenge does Rudy offer Liesel following their taunting of Pfiffikus? What is the outcome?
“The Jesse Owens Incident”
- Who is Jesse Owens? Was Liesel present for the Jesse Owens incident? Explain.
- How does Death’s explanation of Mr. Steiner’s politics explain his anger with his son emulation of Jesse Owens?
- What is Rudy’s father trying to make Rudy understand when he tells Rudy that he should be happy he was born with blonde hair & blue eyes?
- What is the significance of the event Death foreshadows at the end of the chapter?